Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pitchfork Snake

The day was June 13th 2010, remember the date well because it was my neighbor Bob's birthday. I was carefully turning the compost pile with a pitchfork because knowing there are snakes and toads in there sometimes. As I "slowly" lifted up the fork I had this snake on it. I laid the fork on top of the pile waiting for him to leave. I waited and waited. Oh what a horrible thing when I realized that he was speared. I of course was so upset, not being able to deal with anything hurt. I was home all alone, and since it was by neighbor's birthday and he hates snakes, I couldn't go and ask for help. So I went in the house, not wanting to view this. Later my son and grandsons came and all I said was "Please go down to the compost pile and take care of my mess." Standing way up at the house, I could see through the window my son Matthew holding up the snake he released off the fork. Come to find out the snake was not dead, and Matthew threw it over in the apple orchard, which was quite a distance away. I have a lot of garter snakes, which I like to relocate because they eat my toads and frogs. About a week later I was at my frog pond and saw a large garter snake coming out of the water. I ran to get him because I will not let them eat my frogs. When I picked him up he seemed "waterlogged." It was "Pitchfork Snake!" Of course I knew this because of two large holes in his side. Carried him up to the house and had my son Kyle take him about ¼ mile into the woods where there is a small creek. A few days go by and I see another large garter in the grass near the garden. I went and caught him, just thinking he was another snake..........NO......it was "Pitchfork Snake!" So this time I held him as my son drove us over 2 miles away, across a lake, and then down a long road to a large pond which is game property, a beautiful nature reserve. So "Pitchfork Snake" would have to swim across a large lake to come back. Snakes are truly an asset for the garden, eating the slugs, small rodents, etc. But I had witnessed them twice trying to eat a toad and frog, which upset me. I will never kill a snake, just help them find a better home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment