Monday, November 22, 2010

My Trash Treasures

On garbage night I drive around and collect the discarded flower pots. I empty the dirt into my raised hot beds and plant the mums. This year I have planted 8 mums, and one was a huge basket mum. I will be happy if half of them come up in the Spring. I brought a few plants into the house to winter over. My family is appalled with my ventures, but it is a shame to see all of this thrown away. I happened to be at one of the large chain stores a few weeks ago, and they had rows and rows of basket mums on sale for $6.99. I then noticed the clerk filling up carts of the mums. I asked her if they were marked down more and she said no. She was loading them all up to throw away. I believe the store's policy was if they continued to mark them down, people would wait until they were cheaper and not pay the $6.99. Such a shame to see all of those thrown out. DO NOT raid a store's dumpster!! My mother-in-law's friend an 80 year old woman, was walking home behind a large department store here and saw a pile of flowers in their dumpster. She only grabbed a few since she was walking. The store manager called the police and she was arrested! I understand it was so embarrassing for her because her son was a local policeman!

This Week's Find


Glass & Marbles in my soil

Our property was part of a garbage dump and pig farm over 75 years ago covering about 75 acres. Don't know exactly when it was started. While I am digging on any part of my yard, I uncover intact bottles, marbles and glass. Below is just some of the glass and marbles I collected this Summer. I have saved many boxes of old bottles. Most of the time I lose the marbles if I don't have pockets while I am digging, I set them down and forget where I left them. I have never uncovered anything of real value.

No comments:

Post a Comment