Saturday, January 1, 2011

An unwelcome visit from the Coyote

Oh the poor bunny! I happened to spot this rabbit's foot as I was walking down the trail two days ago. For awhile I did not know what got the rabbit. It could have been a cat, fox or even a hawk. Walking about 100 yards down the trail I discovered a fresh pile of coyote scat. Just like other canines they will place their scat in the middle of trails and roads there they want to assure other animals this is their territory. Called a "scent marker."

I know this is a terrible picture to post, but it is so identifiable that this was a coyote. Larger than fox remnants, this is filled with rabbit hair and the tip has a long taper. Coyotes will eat berries, fruits and seeds also. Sometimes the scat is just filled with berries. I worry about the neighborhood cats which walk around the edge of the woods. Cats are a favorite of the coyotes. It is just mother nature, but I just don't want to witness this.


No comments:

Post a Comment