Saturday, January 29, 2011

Small Hawk

Both the Sharp-shinned and the Cooper's Hawk are so similar that I would have to have a better close-up picture than I have. It does not matter if I have this hawk identified, myself and the birds know its a hawk hungry for little birds. This hawk is only about 20 inches long and he shows up all day long. It has been stated that some of the hawks are not migrating and one reason could be they can survive year round if they find a good feeder area. In other words, when I feed my birds twice a day, the hawk knows it is his time to eat also. Early this morning I was just starting to walk around the house when this hawk flew in. He landed high in the tree, I had to bang a metal snow shovel on the metal fence to get him to leave. The pictures below show how he didn't even care that myself and my dog were under the tree taking the pictures, he was more interested in looking for food.



No comments:

Post a Comment